• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jpace49

jpace49

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

hello i have just bought a 1949 plymouth business coupe it has been in storage for around 40 years it has a flathead 6 cylinder in it that is not locked up i am wondering what i should do? i know nothing about a flathead engine is it worth the time and money to try to get the 6 running or should i just take it out put a front clip under it and swap for v8 i would appreciate any advice or info before i tear into this car

#2 Kevin Cuffe

Kevin Cuffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Greetings and Welcome To Old Plymouth ownership! I'm sort of a purist and keep my 1950 Special Deluxe as original as I can. Others also prefer the original approach yet others have modded their Plymouths with huge powerplants and racing gear, etc. Regarding the engine, you may be pleasantly surprised if you prep it with oil, fuel and a mechanical exam to be sure it's sound ... it will likely burp to life without a whole lot of effort! Some of the guys have had cars they pulled from barns and whatnot and after decades of dormancy the engines came alive with just a plug cleaning, fresh fuel, oil and a battery. You can't kill these old Mopars! :-) You'll be amazed at how nice the engine runs too. Sure, if it was sick when last it ran it'll still be sick ... smokey maybe, but it'll run more than likely.

#3 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hi:
Welcome to the group. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site who will be very happy to help. As for the engine swap, that is a very personal choice. Do you have the experience to do this from other project cars? If you do then you are probably familiar with how much these projects can cost and they don't stop with just the engine swap. There are countless other upgrades that usually go with the engine swap. Only you can determine what kind of power and comfort you expect in a vehicle. Some of us purist enjoy our cars as downtime diversions, so we don't mind the 1940s, 50s technology. Other people like the old school look but want everything else to perform like up to date. If you decide to go the swap route there will be plent of takers for any parts you want to unload. If you decide to stay stock you will find plety of help here and maybe a source of parts if you need them.
Gerry

#4 suntennis

suntennis

Advanced Member

• Contributing Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Happy to see a new Plymouth owner. You need to decide what will make you happy and how much money and time you have to spend on the car. If you want a fair amout of power like over 150 HP, the 6 you have will never get there. The engine you have will make for a nice driver and in the long run cost the least money. My suggestion would be to get your car running or drive someone elses old Plymouth to see what you think of it. If the 6 cylinder will work for you, stay with it. If you want somthing that will do 70 mph or so, you can always install an overdrive transmission that may cost $800 to $1000. Putting more power in these cars is money. You may want to look at p15-24.com to find out what is involved with engine change.

#5 jpace49

jpace49

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

thanks for the reply! i have a 50 ford coupe that i have put a fatman fab full frame under with lsx 376 engine and was sort of leaning that way for this car but when i started looking over this car i was suprised of how solid these factory frames are for these plymouths i believe i will try to get the 6 running and give my drivetrain a freshining up and see how it does once again thanks for the input this is my first plymouth project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users