stans52

New tires for old cars

stans52   

What is the todays tire size we can use on our old Plymouths that will be somewhat the same as the original tire sizes. G 78 15 is on my car now. May not be the correct size. Thanks for any info. Stan

HawkHero   

Are you looking for bias ply or radials? Year/model? Stock rims or replacements?

Here is a link to conversion from bias to radials: www.dbtires.com/crossreference.html. Coker still makes tires in classic sizes. Your tires are a bias size of 710 x 15. Most of the older Plymouths were 670 x 15, but I think the 2 door models were a little smaller (640 x 15 or something like that)

-Brian

The radials that are close to the original size tire are 205/75/15 and 215/75/15. With the original rims that are 4.5 inch wide, it is not recommended to use a larger or wider tire. I used the 215 tire and for some reason got some tire rubbing from what I think is the sway bar mount on the A arm. Maybe this was caused from poor sway bar bushings.

I will add a couple of cents here if I may. :)

Even though I am running non stock wheels, 7 in wide by 14 chrome. I have close to the same widths 205 75 14.

My dilemma was I wanted to duplicate the 1.25 in white wall stripe on. Only thing I could find is Corker Tires, and those only came 1 inch wide max. I ended up with P205/75R-14 Hankook Optimo H724, that were 5/8 inch wide.

To make this long story short, the alignment shop I go to, Custom Alignment in Mt. View, strongly advise against Coker, calling them show tires only, and not good for drivers. The drift I got was Coker buys up all the old molds of antique and past tire companies and makes the tire themselves. This shop says the Coker Tires are terrible to balance, and I would end up having trouble down the road. Hence the word show tire rather than go tire. :)

Guess that's a bit more than my two cents. But if you have a true driver, trust a major brand name rather than just the looks of the tire.

my old Plymouth still has the old spare in it . when I got the car I had tires put on it .they put 205x78x15 and it cranked the engine to hard. when we check the old spare next to the new tire it was about five inches bigger. I had a truck with 225x78x15 on it and checked that next to the old spare and it was closer. motor does not sound like it is cranking as many rpm,s now .

HawkHero   

Thanks for the tip, JD52. I hadn't heard that but it is good info for guys who intend to use their Plymouths daily (Like me!)

HawkHero   

As an aside, when converting to radials, are your guys still using tubes or going tubeless? If the latter, where are you getting oval valve stems from?

Beecat88   

. . . interesting.  My '53 has the stock wheels with radial tires but I have always been told that I need to use tubes.  Any one else been so advised?

I have 215x75x15 radials with no tubes on original 4.5 inch wide  rims and have had no problems. The tire guy said if a wider tire like a 70 or 65 series was put on the narrow rim tubes would be needed.