Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodney hamon

introduction

44 posts in this topic

Hello to all. I am so tired of lurking and have decided to start doing. Here is my issue. I have owned a 1/2 ton 1936 dodge truck since 1974 when I got it as a teenager. My dad was a mopar guy who helped me work on it. We put a '49 dodge engine in it with a '53 plymouth transmission w/overdrive...does this qualify me to interact with the plymouth club if i have a plymouth component in my dodge? Next, there seems to be some plymouths ('50-'51)for sale around me that are parted out and I have been seriously thinking of putting my dodge body onto a plymouth chassis for a better drivetrain upgrade...and the brakes certainly would be better as well. For some reason I am thinking that plymouth parts are a little easier to find and I like the attitude of plymouth owners. I am not interested in dakota swaps and t-5 mods. Could this forum help me to achieve this? I used to work on cars a lot more in my youth and now I am really wanting to get back into it but am rusty. My truck has not been started since 1986. I will be curious to hear the response on this one and will not be offended if I have joined your forum incorrectly. I have learned a lot already just reading all this great tech info! rodney

Welcome to a group of folks that like Mopars and try to help each other with their questions. I think you qualify for this forum if you like Plymouths. A few of the members have some hands on experience with doing frame swaps and will be able to help you. I would question how much you would gain by going to a 49 to 54 frame and running gear. If you get a hold of a parts book it will show that some of the parts have been used like for more than 10 years in addition to these same parts are the same for Dodge and Plymouth. Wish you well on the project and enjoyment of this forum.

Thanks for the reply Suntennis. Yes, I am starting to buy reproduction manuals and am learning there are other essential ones like parts crossover and parts manuals. This summer, I thought if I could study my 36 dodge truck frame next to a '50 4 dr meadowbrook frame, I could come up with a good solution for putting the gas tank back where it should be..currently it sits in the bed as the overdrive took too much room...I would like to install 3 on the tree instead of the floor shift..upgrade with better backing plates when I do the brake job....install a dual resevoir mc...it might be worth it...my truck was not original when I got it...it was a "go to the dump once a month" special...this pymouth frame would allow me to start a proper restoration from the beginning...and I like running gear dedicated to this time frame...and then there is the temptation of the split manifold and dual carb set up...so many good options to study with these forums!

It's all in the Mopar family so if you can glean some info from this site, great. A lot of the mechanical parts for Dodge and Plymouth were interchangeable. The popular mods many guys use for brakes and front suspension are discs and out board mounted shocks. Beyond that some will graft a Fatman or similar front end on their car. I am confused about your OD trans with a floor shift. The OD trans of that era was a straight across swap for the regular trans. I've got one in my 49 wagon and just hooked it up to the column shift and linkage. Unless you have plenty of money you will want to really think about the mods before jumping in. It can get pretty expensive. However some people have done some amazing work with a lot of sweat and fairly short money.

Gerry

gerry...i have a hurst in-line speed linkage hooked up to the '53 overdrive..(no parking brake)..it barely misses the bench seat and i remember i need to fabricate the stick shift rod a little better for easier grabbing. i live near albuquerque, new mexico. i am meeting a mopar guy tomorrow who collects parts cars. that is where the plymouths are..i will find out what he has...he has advertised on c.l. i used to live in n. calif and when i lost the storage for my dodge in '94...i used a car dolly behind my truck to tow the old dodge back out to here...at the time every car trailor was rented...to make the story short...about a hundred miles out of flagstaff on i-40, the rear tire blew and i never felt it as i was driving straight to abq from sacramento...finally i pulled over and saw the shredded tire and chewed rim and score in the road that went to infinity...have to laugh now but i cried then...who knows what it did to that rear end...so...a more modern same era chassis with a better rear end, upgrade in shocks, u-joints?, battery location, better organization of where the gas tank and transmission would be...i will find out tomorrow if my theory on this is wrong

Hi Rodney,

Welcome and I hope that you post photos and progress of your project. Wow! what a story in trying to get the truck to your new home. Glad it all worked out in the end. The P15-D24 forum has a dedicated area for the dodge trucks that also might be a help to you.

Good luck

Tony

Hi Tones52. Yes...posting pix's will be the next challenge for me and I will start "gleaning info" to learn how. I have been lurking on the p-15 d-24 forum as well and that is a fantastic site to learn from...love to read the messages those guys write...and I want to join that as well. Of course I need to re-join the WPC club as well. I used to subscribe to the old WPC rag back in the 70's and 80's and that was my primer of sorts. Now...these restoration forum sites are just amazing to read. Last night I found the serial #' on my frame...an awesome feat...now I can start the trace info for this truck....funny how time changes things...i owned a '48 3/4 ton dodge truck for a few years and sold it for this '36 that I now own. Now they call these trucks B-series...I have to get used to this...B's and P's...interesting but efficient...and I am also glad that Bishko exists for folks like me! rodney

I still am lame when it comes to taking the pictures and posting but I will get there..my full time job at the university and the cummute keeps me too busy but the semester is almost over....I tried to get this other '51 cambridge that was dead but the guy wants too much for it...down to $1200 though..I offered him $800....can't get that one out of my head...but I went ahead and bought a '49 rolling chassis and am excited to pick it up with a car dolly in one week. I am so curious in finding out how the parts stores are now around me...what is available so to speak and how knowledgable the guys are behind the counter. Even though I am a Napa guy, there used to be this great Carquest near me with the smartest folks running it...and then it closed....bummer....they knew a lot and where to find stuff....I think this is part of the charm in starting this project...making the new connections... know where the spring shop is and where hydraulic hose shops are...the radiator shops...need to run 220 out into the garage so I can hook up a stick welder...last thing to start thinking of is to reinforce the rafters to hang a hoist system with a trolley to lift off the cab and bed this summer.

An update. I decided to buy the '51 cambridge. If I am going to commit to the plymouth sites...I better get more serious and really have a plymouth to talk about. I will pick it up this week. The owner came down some more and the car is pretty original...not quite as dead as I thought...what sold me was it was from my area...3rd owner and he knew the car history. Headliner still intact and all the pieces there..runs...needs tune-up...flushing..brakes...just have to put it back together... I will get more manuals...found my motor manual finally...that book is priceless...I will now have 2 chassis' side by side to study for a better restoration and fabrication...and I will not molest this cambridge as it is a survivor. Interesting...my dad had one like this and my friend who is going with me to pick it up had one also...I am in the right moment for this buy. Now it is time to take pix's.

In less than 2 months the pack rats and mice destroyed the interior...some damage was there already from the previous owners but alas...I wanted to start working on the plimmy early next year...not last weekend.... I took the seats out and floor mat and then discovered the bottom was rusted out...I am not surprised but I did not want to deal until next year when I go part time at work...I bought a service manual to better understand things...I bought every right handed wheel stud bolt in Albuquerque but I still need half a dozen left handed ones..Napa said Colorado has more rt. hand thread in their warehouse in case somebody needs some....I got some evaporust to start on the chassis...I need to put the battery back in now with the correct battery cables and start her up (fix polarity-its reversed) and get a new exhaust gasket between the manifold and pipe...and then start on the rear brake...the wiring is trashed...but hey...I love that car and it will help me to better understand a good restoration of the chassis next to it...that is missing lots of stuff as I see...and then I have to also avoid rattlesnakes, thunderstorms and no-see-ums out where I live...summer sucks at my place outside....my garage stores my '36 dodge truck and the 64 1/2 mustang....I will take a picture of that soon...so the bottom line is I need to work outside and avoid nature until the weather gets better in Fall...then it is beautiful ! rh

post-8557-0-67747700-1437057654_thumb.jp

post-8557-0-56496200-1437057677_thumb.jp

I realize I need to reduce pix file size...will work on that...forgot to reply to harley 11212 about parts source around ABQ...the guy, Chris, who I got the '50 chassis from has several acres of old mopars that he and his dad collected for years...it is located on south HWY 14 about 35 miles from ABQ. The cars have seen better days but there are parts on them...and he wants top dollar for his stuff...he is on craig's list as I have mentioned before...again sorry for the delay in that question. rh

Spur of the moment I found 2 '36 supposedly plymouth engines close to my work and got them...the guys helped put them into my truck with a hoist but I had to remove by myself...one with the transmission and drive shaft still bolted on..I removed the drive shaft.....with no lift I slowly rocked them off the back off the tailgate onto a dock/patio the same height as the tailgate...man...I forgot how heavy a mopar 6 is...anyway...safe now at my house...maybe one will make its way slowly into my '36 truck...can't go wrong having extra parts around...except I am making my wife scared having old engines on the patio deck...amazing how fast one can accumulate stuff when that time starts. rh

Been too busy at my job and have not been able to read the forums lately. Tried to start the car but the starter's not engaging..need to find somebody here in ABQ to rebuild...Move on to the next thing... managed to saw off the rusted/melted-on exhaust bolts holding on the exhaust pipe from the manifold..I broke down and bought a mini air-recipricating saw...thought I would start there with my re-education...driver rear drum is separated from the previous owner/s attempt to pull off. Is it possible to bend those tabs back into the slots and save that drum? Tack weld it then ? Am going to get a P-99 matco puller and re-do that brake...in the mean time the mice got in again and started chewing on the door panels to make nests...in the 25 yrs I have lived here I have never seen such a mouse/rat invasion like this...the interior is ill-fated until I can seal every hole that they can enter..have a 1/2 lb. of poison under the hood and in the car....been pouring concrete for a carport area so I have a better work space...had a rattlesnake (looks like it ate a mouse) last night keep me company while forming up another section to pour this weekend...too tired to find the shotgun...I let it slither into the field. I like the Napa store I go to now...they are friendly. rh

I like reading about your progress, and trials. Reminds me of my time getting my car road worthy. Keep at it, and please keep posting.

Good luck.

John

Thanks John. All of these forums...from WPC...P-15-D-24... to HAMB...there are lots of stories and some are funny...I think my situation is absurd and funny. I like to look at my '51 everyday when I leave and come home from work. The majority of my concrete slab is poured now so that the car can be moved onto it. No brakes...parking brake yes. I can rob the starter from my '49 engine and put on the '51 to move it hopefully. I located a shop that can rebuild the starter if needed. I need to check all connections first and see if it is a simple thing. I am waiting for the drum puller to arrive. When I first started the car the exhaust leak sound was huge...when I cut the melded manifold bolts off I found a burned out gasket...normal...but then I saw the pipe was burned out as well...no wonder it was so loud...on the concrete slab I can jack the car up and pull the exhaust pipe off and have a new one duplicated...there is an exhaust shop I like here in town that can do that inexpensive. The first 2 goals are...when I start that car up I want it to purr...not scream/belch...and the second is to fix that rear brake...before winter sets in....oh...now an occasional tarantula will walk by...it's their season now...they are kinda cool actually to watch....harmless. rodney

The concrete has cured and it is waiting for me to limp the '51 onto it for the winter. I have my drum puller now and that will be used a lot. Today I scored on a '38 plymouth front axle and rear end with leaf springs, wheels, and a drive shaft. I don't know if the wheels are original but they are in nice shape. I thought if my '36 dodge truck rear end was fried I could substitute in the future. The new wheels are better than my old ones. The 4 dr. plymouth sedan this stuff came from was being restored and the chassis was being modified to accept a mustang II front end...undetermined what they were going to with the rear...a crate motor was also going into it...the car had been sitting at the owners barn for several years and there was lots of mice smell. I am reading many posts from 4 sites and re-learning many things...also picked up a P-15 service manual not far from where I live. rodney

Success. I got the car started and barely got it up onto the carport slab due to lack of power. Hoses shot...water leaking everywhere...interior gutted out as the seats were removed months ago...I sat on a samsonite chair starting/driving the car 100 ft....better than a milk crate.... Next...finding out why there is no power. Can a 12 volt remote starter switch work with 6 volt or do I have to hunt for 6v one ? r

Apologies if a similar message comes out like this as I am new to the forum world...I need some fuel pump advice for my '49 dodge and '51 plymouth engines...both are 217's I presume (I should research that)...the question is do I order from Andy B. or the Vintage powerwagon site ? It seems the universal pumps have glass bowls but both mine do not as they are carters w/no bowls...fittings would be in the wrong place...but the question I have is about the levers attached to the spring and they are vertical-ish as opposed to my horizontal kind...do both work the same?  My old ones are small and compact and it seems the replacements are more bulky but if this all there is for mechanical fuel pumps these days so be it.   rodney

time flew. thought i should post. 2016 was a terrible year for rattle snakes due to dry/mild weather in new mexico. i was cleaning wood pile near plymouth when a 13 yr old rattler scared the crap outta me and i flew back and landed on edge of 5 gal bucket and cracked a rib....all summer i felt that one.....shot it when it revisited the plymouth month later...shot another and there were more...this spooked me to crawl on ground to do brake work on that new cement pad...am still waiting for it to cool down....still 70 here and i live between albuquerque and santa fe in the mountains....bad yrs for rodents. I am waiting to go see a '51 4 dr parts car an hr from me...it's also a cambridge and the front clip looks in good shape...I believe from reading forums that 4 dr and 2 dr front clips are interchangeable....think this correct ?   in the meantime, i went into garage and whittled on '36 dodge truck w/ '49 engine and started cleaning and took front clip off...hunting for parts...fan belt was interesting search...I matched my old belt at Napa w/ 49 3/8 length and too long...I put the other one that was 48 1/4 on and too short...wtf...went back to the longer belt and made a new generator bracket hanging off water pump...and was looking at the serial # and saw it is stamped D-30. This engine was put together by my dad and his friends so there are parts-everything from diff yrs that are on this thing...no wonder the fuel pump fits odd...i still need to research #'s. I am close to starting it after it sitting 30 yrs. I got the remote starter and trying to understand how to hook up from p15d24 site. Anybody here have a clean instruction how to hook up the twin leads ?   One last thing. I discovered a worn lead wire in distributor and Napa had them in stock. Good ole P & D no less. Amazing that Napa still has certain things! Rock Auto is pretty good for price as well.   rodney

Follow the wire from your ignition that goes to your starter relay.  Connect one side of the your remote starter switch to that terminal, and the other to 12 volts, (six if that is what you are running)  Pressing the switch will activate the starter but not the coil, distributor, etc.  Will turn the engine over but wont start it, UNLESS you have turned the key to on.  Be sure it is out of gear.

I put one on permanently on my fender well to help in adjustments and working on the engine.