FamilyMatters

49 Plymouth Special Deluxe - Family Matters

Acquired a P8 1949 Special Deluxe which was my wife's Great Grandmothers.  Looking to do a full restore on this car.  If anyone has tips on information resources for me to use to understand stock configuration and how complete this car is from original I would greatly appreciate.  Just signed up to this forum and will be reviewing what I can.  Thanks  

I suggest that you purchase a Service Manual covering your year. I think there are two versions that include 1949. These are available as reprints, but unless you obtain one that is clearer than what used to be published, I recommend getting an original. It is important for the illustrations to be clear.

A membership in the Plymouth Owners Club will help. Since 1957, the club has been dedicated to maintaining and restoring Plymouths in stock condition, with a debate just beginning about having members' cars that are not stock accepted for judging, depending on the modification. The POC has local chapters. It has a Bulletin which is a good resource.

This forum has sources listed and many threads on stock restoration.

Would expect a great mothers car to have been kept quite original. There is a area on this site that lists  a number of people that can provide most parts you may need. Your budget will be a big factor in degree of restoration you can do. If you are lucky the car will only need minor work done. If you are thinking of getting the car judged. the Plymouth Owners Club web site has info on particulars of cars and items that are judged.

Thanks for the info.  Our plan is to complete the car as original.  Our aspiration is to take this car finished back to the family reunion in 2 years completed.  

Appreciate the engagement on this site.

Tones52   

Welcome FamilyMatters! Hope to see photos of your '49, especially as you go through your restoration build. I think stories of cars that have stayed with the family or original owners are great. A few weeks back, I was at a morning cruise in where I met a gentleman who restored his 49 Chrysler, It was the same one he bought new in his late teens.

Both this forum and the p15-d24.com forum are helpful with lots of good information that can be searched as well as link to vendors.

Here a link to a blog that was helpful to me when I first got my Plymouth: blueskies 50 Plymouth blog

Best of luck with your project!

Picked up the car this past weekend.  Just starting to review.  I did obtain manuals for service and parts - reprints - think I need to obtain originals if anyone knows a source.  Not much for exploded views in the reprints. 

image.jpeg

Beautiful car that looks like it does not need much work.  Brake work is usually needed for cars that have sat for a few years. The parts manual has a number of exploded views which is helpful.  These books new will run around $60 and worth the money if you are taking things apart. If you do not want to spend the money, take lots of photos of items you take apart.

I found that a 1950 parts book for all Mopar brands had a lot more good pictures than either of the other two books you have posted.

As a plus this book will also help with interchangeable parts you may need.

While I mention the book for 1950 the 1949 is 99.9% the same as the 50's. I not seen anyway a book like this for the Mopar 49 models-P17,P18. They may be out there though it may be that I did not find it!

Nice car to save,

Good luck, 50HR

On 10/7/2016 at 3:21 PM, FamilyMatters said:

50HR, could you upload a pic of the covers of the manuals you have so I can know definitively which one.  Many out there.  Much appreciated if you can.

Tried to post a pic, but problems on my end.

Sent a PM on this forum to you with some info though.

50HR

Tones52   

Wow! It looks like you restored it already! ;)

It looks like the just needs a mild rub compound and waxing. The chrome and trim should also clean up nice.

If it's just the interior needs to be done that may be on the more expensive side. My hope is that it's just the front seat that needs to be redone and the pattern from the rear seat will be helpful to the shop that does the work.

Is the '49 pretty water tight? Like when you wash it, is there leakage from the window seals?

Looking forward to seeing more photos but what a great thing it would be to take this piece of family history to the reunion.

BTW I do have original manuals, if there's something you need a scan of before you get your original manual, message me.

Again, good luck!

Tones52 - thanks - a ways to go yet, but a good start.  My father in law made a couple of errors in reassembly which was a puzzle to figure out.  I will likely ping you for some graphics in manuals - mine aren't good at all in that area.  Interior would need work as you indicated, and likely rockers on passenger side only.  Electrical is next followed by fuel - then startup.  Will evaluate how deep the next steps will be based on the results.  

Admiring your assessment skills just based on a few pics - this was taken after the first cut on the paint.  You nailed that