Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50 deluxe

JUMP STARTING A 6 V SYSTEM

7 posts in this topic

If your question  means that your car is 6 volt and you want to jump start with a 12 volt battery, the following is one way to do it. Disconnect the cable at the starter solenoid that goes to the starter. Attach to this cable one wire (plus or minus) from the 12 volt battery and make sure at this connection it is not touching anything. When you want the starter to work, use a jumper cable from the other 12 volt battery terminal and make contact with a ground area of the 6 volt system such as a bumper or engine. When this contact is made there will be electric sparks. This setup bypasses the starter solenoid and the 6 void system other than the starter. When the ground connection is disconnected, the starter will stop turning. If you want to start the car, then the ignition switch switch must be in the on position.

I purchased a "sealed 6 volt battery" that I keep in the trunk. Take it every time I'm rolling. I also purchased a " 6 volt battery tender" when not in use. Quick way to jump start in an emergency. Not worried about frying wiring or burn out gages.

I just roll start. Lots of hills in NV. Even did it rolling backwards down a hill once. The wife was not amused. Couldn't turn the car around first as it was, *ahem* a one-way street known a an interstate. 

-- Brian

Boy, I did the roll start thing all the time back in the day, how soon we forget with most new cars built as automatics today.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

50 DELUXE