Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jorge La Porta

Hard time getting car into 1st gear

9 posts in this topic

I just enter in OldPlymouths Group and let me ask a question : When I hit the first gear, I do not have any problems with the clutch, but I have to quickly go through the second ..... because the first gear jumps ,,,, there is no noise in the gearbox ............ who had this problem? ....any tip to correct?

I looked it up in the manual. It says, "Restricted travel of the shifter linkage is the most common cause of slipping out of gear". Another paragraph covers slipping out of low and reverse specifically. It talks about excessive wear in the transmission or excessive end play in the countershaft gear—not something I have had to deal with. Try looking at the shift linkage to see if it is failing to get the car fully into first gear.

Thanks for the answer.....it is useful to start my way to full solution I am tired to start on second and Plymouth engine too, mainly on climbs.....maybe shift linkage is the problem, I do believe problem is out of gear box or transmission but frankly speaking the conections/arms between the shift and gear box are still  a right position mystery to me due my lack of reference....so it is extremelly useful  if you can email me parts/draws/details of manual where you got such explanations .......If I see figures or schemes I can reforce my understanding due my poor technical english and please tell me what manual you got it. Thanks again and my best regards........

You need to buy a shop or service manual for your car. Go on internet and search for shop or maintenance book for the year car you have. There are a number of places that sell this including ebay. The cost is around $45.00 and if you plan on working on your car it is necessary to have this book.

I have this manual ...... ...I read it but i didnt see or I missed explanations considering  my specific problem so shall  you give me specific manual do get details about "first gear jumping" , Please take in count I am in Brazil and not too many reference or others original Plymouths too see, Please see pictures attached in order to realize how bad car was.......................thanks

Resultado de imagem para maintenance manual plymouth 1949 

Chassi reduzido.jpg

Motor reduzido.jpg

Rebuilt reduzido.jpg

Good morning from Reno, NV, Jorge. Hope things south of the equator are going well. For you particular manual, page 205 is where the shift linkage adjustment details are. The title may say "Transmission - Overdrive" but it covers both overdrive and standard three speed without overdrive. To help orient yourself to the linkage rods, run the car through its gears and you should see how the levers on the transmission are acutated to allow shifting into R/1 and 2/3. 

I know the pictures in the reprinted manuals can be a bit grainy, so the adjustment graphic is showing the steering column and the shift linkage that connects at the steering column. 

Good luck!!

--Brian

Thanks Brian .....I will read manual in detail for now on......my manual is original from the fifties so graphics are clear enough so I will check details...I  rebuilt the car and gear box and transmission/differential was checked and they seen in good shape, really Plymouth needs some small adjustments on the gear shift and manual will help......Things are hot in Brazil, a lot of political problens but weather is still good and girls are beautiful and from time to time a good running on Plymouth......regards

The adjustments to the shift linkage are fairly simple. One adjustment only is for adjusting the position of the shift lever on the steering column and this is adjusted at the bracket on the shift arm that has a slot in it. The other adjustment is only for shifting the gears in the transmission and it on the rod from the transmission that has a spring at the end of it and two adjusting nuts. The way to adjust this rod is put shift lever and transmission in neutral then adjust the nuts so there is no free play in linkage. Try different adjustments to this rod because the first try may not fix the problem. It is possible a small free play may work for you. Hope this fixes the problem.

car,house,family 2 061.jpg